Mobile application testing is a process by which mobile software application is tested for its functionality, usability and consistency. Mobile applications either come pre-installed when you buy mobile or can be installed from mobile software distribution platforms according to your need.In last couple of years Mobile devices have witnessed a phenomenal growth.
Types of Mobile Application Testing
1. Functional Testing- Functional testing ensures that the application is working as per the requirements. Most of the test conducted for this is driven by the user interface and call flows.
2. Performance Testing- This testing process is undertaken to check the performance and behavior of the application under certain conditions such as low battery, bad network coverage, low available memory, simultaneous access to application’s server by several users and other conditions.
3. Memory Leakage Testing- Memory leakage happens when a computer program or application is unable to manage the memory it is allocated resulting in poor performance of the application and the overall slowdown of the system. As mobile devices have significant constraints of available memory, memory leakage testing is crucial for the proper functioning of an application.
4. Interrupt Testing- An application while functioning may face several interruptions like incoming calls or network coverage outage and recovery. The different types of interruptions are:
Incoming and Outgoing SMS and MMS
Incoming and Outgoing calls
Cable Insertion and Removal for data transfer
Network outage and recovery
Media Player on/off
Device Power cycle
An application should be able to handle these interruptions by going into a suspended state and resuming afterwards.
5. Usability testing
6. Installation testing- Certain mobile applications come pre-installed on the device whereas others have to be installed from the store. Installation testing verifies that the installation process goes smoothly without the user having to face any difficulty. This testing process covers installation, updating and uninstalling of an application.
7. Certification Testing- To get a certificate of compliance, each mobile device needs to be tested against the guidelines